7.10.2009

Institute






So I realize that I have been mostly non-existent for the past five weeks... But let me explain why.

To be apart of Teach for America, you obviously have to learn to become a teacher. While I already AM a teacher, I still have to go through the process. So throw together 560 people, a college dorm room, a school of 8 classrooms, 1am deadlines, and you have "Institute".

When I went through my interview to be in TFA I asked my interviewer how education majors typically found Institute already haven taught and learned about teacher, he replied - less stressed. This is indeed how I have found Phoenix to be. I am certainly not stressed out to be in a classroom of 6 year olds, nor do I spend 4 hours writing lesson plans until 2am.

However. Let's tackle this from a different perspective. It has been 2 1/2 years since I have lived the "college lifestyle" in dorms, and even then I lived with two lovely ladies in our own little world focused solely on my life as a cross-country runner. Throw in dorm food, lots of "ice-breakers", a city full of heat and strip malls, no organic or local ANYTHING, no car, and you have a very unhappy Katy.

Well. Not UNhappy. But certainly NOT happy.

I have been creating ways to keep myself sane - like going to Vegas to visit to Claire/Billy and bribbing certain best friends to come visit for the 4th, but I would just like to put it out there that I am still homeless, still jobless, and STILL cannot wait to get back to New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment